Tuesday, August 21, 2007

1st Day of School

It's here, Emmersyn's 1st day of School!
The wait is over & the emotions are running wild. Last night it took Emmersyn a while to fall asleep since she was so excited & this morning when her alarm went off that excitement shown through. we had Bath time first thing, then she got dressed in to her "1st day of school" outfit.
I then asked what she wanted to eat for breakfast. Her request was "Green Eggs & Ham". So I went to the kitchen & I got the eggs going. Both kids enjoyed their green eggs & ham with toast, & they both eat really well this morning.

Emma then decided that she wanted to take cold lunch instead of eat what was on the schedule. We made her sandwich & loaded up her lunch cooler with, carrots, ranch dressing, a cookie, & applesauce. She was very excited to help get her lunch together.

Yesterday we went out & got some letters so we could put her name on her nap towel so she made sure she had that in her bag and then it was time for mommy to take pictures. I made the sign for her to hold that way we would always know what year/grade & teacher.

Tonight after she gets home from school I will have her sign the bottom of the sheet that way we will also be able to compare her hand writing skills each year. Then of course we had to take pictures with her school bag & matching lunch cooler.

Bryce wanted to get into the picture fun so I wanted to get a couple of them together. What is Bryce going to do when Emma's at school, this might be harder for him than it is for Emmersyn.

Last night we were able to take all of her supplies to her class room & let her meet Mrs. Clark & get a feel for what school might be like. This was only an hour long walk though/open house & since the construction of the school is not close to completion we only saw the class room (nothing else is done).

This morning Bryce & I walked her to her class room & helped her remember what she needs to do when she comes into the classroom every morning. Hang up her bag, put her lunch cooler in her cubbie, sign the daily sign in book, get the start of the day sheet, & put her name under what type of lunch she is going to eat. At first she wanted me close then she decided it was okay for Bryce & I to go. We made sure we kissed each others hand (read "The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn) then we were off. I came very teary eyed many times throughout this whole 10 min ordeal, but I have yet to shed a whole tear.

We were given this little baggie from Mrs Clark & the letter in it reads:

" Thank you for entrusting your child to me for the coming school year. I will do my very best every day to be your child's guide in learning and exploring this bright, new world they have just stepped into.

After you have

*Wiped your tears with a Kleenex,

*Made yourself a nice warm cup of tea,

*And put your feet up to relax,

*then hold the cotton ball in your hand.

*The softness will remind you of the gentle spirit of your child.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Clark"

This was such a sweet little gesture & She also had the kids trace there hand & put a heart sticker in the middle of the palm as a reminder for their parents of their love through out today. Emmersyn made sure I had her hand print this morning before we left for school.

After I left the school I headed to a local Coffee shop were our Church was hosting a "kindergarten parents" fellowship hour. This is were a few of us gathered & shared our stories, experiences, expectations & fears over a hot cup of coffee & with good friends. This was needed that way Bryce & I didn't go directly home to a somewhat empty house.

Now we are home & Bryce has already asked to go pick Sissy up many times & wanting to play with her. It will take a little time for him to understand that school for sissy is now an all day event.

The day is not over yet & I might shed a tear. I just can't explain how bitter sweet this morning has been. I'll get through it & I know Emmersyn will too.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 AM , Blogger Heather said...

I think the note from the teacher would have made me tear up more than anything!! Hopefully the day goes well and before you know it you will be in a routine and it will all seem normal.

 
At 11:53 AM , Blogger Yarian said...

I agree with Heather. Well who am I to talk my baby gets on the school bus in the morning. Tears are normal but remember summer will be here soon so enjoy the quiet you have it goes by fast.

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

yeah-- so I could cry-- Very sweet!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home